A great, all-encompasing tour of Costa Rica! Enjoy a "6 in 1 tour" with a professional naturalist tour guide, who will introduce you to the most important aspects of the Afro-Caribbean Culture of Costa Rica, and show you the rich wildlife of this fascinating region.
During this tour you will enjoy:
1) City Tour: History records that in 1502 Christopher Columbus landed in Costa Rica at the place known as Puerto Limón. The country's port has much import and export traffic. The city's old quarter has the characteristics of a historical center and is currently under urban renovation with restoration of buildings and a pedestrian walkway from Parque Vargas to the market.
2) A journey through the rainforest on a tractor wagon will offer beautiful landscapes, various flora and fauna, and many opportunities to see the remarkably fascinating different frog species of Costa Rica, such as the red dart frog. You will then reach the highest part of the mountain and have the opportunity to soak in the local nature in all its glory. Feel free to walk on the 300 foot long bridge and take advantage of every angle for some awesome picture opportunities.
3) Visit a Banana Plantation and Packing House, where many interesting facts about this amazing fruit will be explained, including the crop, harvesting, processing, packing and exportation. Costa Rica is the second largest banana producer in the world and 80% of the plantations are located in Limon province, which has become one of the most important economical activities in the region. On weekdays, you will be able to see the workers doing their job in the fields and the packing house. This is a very interesting cultural experience that you can’t miss.
4) Coastal Drive: Enjoy the beautiful scenery of Puerto Limon coastline during the bus drive to the different attractions.
5) The Tortuguero Canals: Board your covered boat for a 60 minutes leisurely cruise through the jungle canals. Your guide will show you the rain forest eco-system and point out sights of interest. Keep an eye out for wildlife, including howler monkeys, many sloths, toucans, aquatic birds, bats and crocodiles as well as exotic flora.
6) Enjoy the Souvenirs Stores & Shopping: During our Limon Highlights tour, you will enjoy many different souvenirs stores. The Caribbean is full of diversity, and boasts many cultures: Afro-Costa Rican, Bribri and Cabécar, Asian, Italian and Central American, among others. Besides food, the region features a collection of cultural activities and traditions that also set it aside from the rest of the country.
This tour is designed to help you become an expert on the rich cultural heritage and ecological resources of the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica.